Saturday, March 14, 2009

Fire

Fire

I sank slowly onto the armchair, my clammy hands gripping the armrests. My eyes were transfixed on the television screen. All the horror and pain I had tried so hard to push to the back of my mind came rushing back as the images of the roaring fire flashed on the television screen. In an instant, I was transported back to that fateful night.

The armchair groaned under the full weight of me. My lanky body stretched, reposing comfortable on it. The lonely house was full of memories. I stared sadly at the photograph of the lovely lady placed in the centre of the altar. The wind blew out the candles on each side of the photograph. Sighing softly, I re-lighted the candles. Tired out from the funeral, lethargy set in and my eyelids drew closer and closer. I fell into a deep slumber.

The candles continued to flicker in the dimly-lit room. An extra strong gust of wind blew at the flimsy curtains which fluttered close to the candles. Then, a tiny corner of the curtain touched the gentle dancing flame.

I was suddenly awakened. I took in a deep breath and smelt smoke. Smoke? How could there be smoke? Groggily, I rubbed my eyes before fluttering them opened. It took my eyes a few moments to be adjusted to the sudden light. I was indeed horrified at the scene before my eyes with my mouth falling wide-opened. I was completely in a dilemma, not knowing what to be done at that particular moment. Snapping back to my senses, I took the bottle of water beside me, turned the cap and poured the water onto the flame.

Instead of being smaller, the flame grew. Fingers of flame seemed to grab me. It was like a horseman whipping the back of a horse. The place felt like a furnace. Acid smoke filled my lungs. My lungs burned and felt as if it was going to burst. The inferno advanced inch by inch towards me, devouring everything in its path. The flame was spreading rapidly. Adrenaline was pumping at my legs. Run! Run! The words flashed across my mind like a neon sign. I looked around frantically for an escape route, for a place to hide, for anything to get away from the fire. However, lady luck did not seem to be on my side. By now, I was surrounded by ferocious, fury flames. The red demons licked the walls and danced around me, as if celebrating the victory of a successful capture of their prey. The raging fire in front of me had blocked my way to safety!

Tears were starting to form in my eyes, threatening to spill out. “Stay calm! Stay calm!!!” a voice at the back of my mind commanded. I tried to wipe away the tears with the back of my hand but even doing so was difficult. I thought of nothing but to escape from the raging fire before my eyes. However, I could not concentrate at all! Tears just streamed down my face like a waterfall. Never had I once in my life felt so helpless and pathetic. I opened my mouth to scream for help, hoping against hope that someone would hear me and call the fire brigade and ambulance.

My screams soon died out as no one answered my prayers. I knew that chances of being rescued were low. “God must be punishing me for my past deeds,” I thought, “Mum and dad, please forgive me.” Just as I thought I would just perish in the fire, sirens of the fire brigade and ambulance rent the silent air. My expression immediately altered from loneliness to happiness my eyes flickered with a glint of hope. Help had finally arrived! Firemen jumped out from their trunks and got to work almost instantly. I could not even wait till the firemen saved me when I felt the last thin thread of consciousness slipping away, swept into oblivion due to the sheer fatigue from all the screaming.

I did not have to open my eyes to know where I was. I was either in the hospital or the heaven. A strong smell of medicine assaulted my nose. Sobs reached my ears. I fluttered opened my eyes groggily to see my mother wiping away her tears before shrieking in delight and enveloping in bear hugs. For my father, he mouthed, “Thank god.” “Daddy. daddy! You have finally waked up!” my son exclaimed. At that moment, a man in white came into the room, probably a doctor. “Are you all right?” the doctor asked. I told him that I was fine but was still confused. Then, images of the incident flitted in and out of my mind and everything came back in a rush.

“Daddy!” I was jolted out from my reverie by my son. “What are you thinking about?” my son queried. “Nothing,” I lied as tears coursed down my cheeks. “Why are you crying?” my son inquired. Wiping away the tears on my face, I smiled at my son.

No comments: