Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Thief

. Thief

“Look at my branded watch. My mum specially bought it for me!” Adam boasted. Immediately, everyone rushed to the front and craned their necks just to get a look at the watch. The class was passing the watch around when it was Jack’s turn. Adam jumped down from his table, dashed towards Jack and snatched his watch away from Jack. “Poor lads are not allowed to touch this watch,” Adam smirked. Obviously embarrassed, Jack dragged his feet to his table and took out a book to read. Soon, lesson started. Adam was unaware that I was eyeing on his watch throughout the lesson.

Ring… It was recess. Pupils made a beeline to the canteen as they rushed out of the classroom. On the pretext to the toilet, I strode to the nearest wall and hid behind it. “Once I got hold of the watch, I would say that it was dad who bought it for me,” I thought. I smiled while rubbing my hands gleefully. When my chance came, I dashed out from my hiding place and sped to the classroom. I scanned around. After confirming that there was not a single soul in sight, I opened the door and hurried in. Almost instantly, I got to work.

Where had he placed it? Perspiration was forming on my forehead. I was rummaging frantically for the branded watch in Adam’s bag. Finally, I found it at one of the small compartments in his bag. A grin spread across my face upon the sight of it. However, it soon disappeared.

I held the watch tightly in my hand. Was I doing the right thing? I was torn between the devil and the deep blue sea. If I were to steal, I might be punished but…if I were not to steal it; I was just slipping the opportunity away and would never get hold of the watch. I was indecisive.

“Nick, what are you doing in the class?” Mr Lim asked while he walked towards my direction. I snapped back to reality almost instantly by Mr Lim. I slipped the watch in my hand into my pocket. Deep in my heart, I was blaming myself for not closing the door. Swallowing a lump in my throat, I answered, “I came back to take my wallet.” I was hoping against hope that he would accept my answer and let me off without suspecting me. “Then, why are you at Adam’s desk?” he queried with suspicion in his voice. I opened my mouth but no words came out. The words seemed to be stuck in my throat. I was totally speechless. “Tell me what you were doing just now!” he thundered. Reluctantly, I fished out Adam’s watch and handed it to him with shaky hands. “I … I stole Adam’s…watch…” I replied in a trembling voice.

The bell, signaling the end of recess rang. I followed meekly behind Mr Lim as I proceeded to the hall. My heart was thumping wildly. Would Mr Lim inform my parents? He had better not or else I would be in dead meat! Everyone was back in class. Upon reaching his desk, Adam searched for his watch. However, it was not in his bag! “It must be Jack who had stolen my watch,” he muttered under his breath while walking to Jack’s desk. “Give back my watch to me! I know you are the one!” he accused. “I did not steal your watch!” Jack protested.

Anger was welling up in Adam. He curled his hand into a tight fist before fling a well-aimed punch at Jack. “Ouch…”Jack groaned in agony with his hands clutching his stomach. Now, the whole class’s attention drew towards them. “I am the one who steals but it had instead cause Jack to be the scapegoat,” I sighed. Mr Lim noticed the commotion and explained to him that it was not Jack who had stolen his watch. “If it was not him, who else could it be? It must be him!” he shouted. “It’s Nick,” Mr Lim whispered. “It couldn’t be him! He’s my best friend. He would not steal my things,” Adam explained. “It’s me,” I confessed. I could feel the tips of my ears turning red and wished that the ground had a hole to swallow me, to escape from the stares of thirty-nine pairs of eyes. I could see that Adam was indeed surprised to find out that it was me.

With no other choice, Adam had to apologise to Jack for accusing him. “Nick, I had informed your parents,” Mr Lim said. I knew I had to face the music. “Sorry Adam. I didn’t mean to steal but I wanted that watch for a long time. I am really sorry,” I apologised. “I will forgive you but you have to promise me that you will not steal again. Let’s be friends again,” he replied. I nodded.

From this incident, Adam had learnt not to judge a book by its cover.

No comments: